March 2, 2021: You’ve heard the news … Cision acquired Brandwatch. Consolidation in the social software and media intelligence space has been happening for the last several years. How will this impact marketing and PR teams? What are the opportunities or implications? David Armano and I will be discussing us on Tuesday at 11:00 AM PST on Clubhouse.
There are two software giants that are starting to separate themselves from the rest of the SaaS pack–Cision and Meltwater.
LIST OF CISION ACQUISITIONS
Below is a summary of Cision acquisitions over the last decade. In my research, I came across several conflicting dates but I found this helpful blog post by Frank Strong summarizing the Cision acquisitions over the last decade.
- Cision AB acquired Visible Technologies which is a social analytics company
- A merger between Cision AB and Vocus, which then became the name Cision
It’s important to call out a few acquisitions by Vocus as well, since many of these legacy software applications have shaped what Cision is today. In 2006, Vocus acquired PRWeb (a press release distribution services), HARO (a marketplace that connects journalists and bloggers with expert sources) and iContact (email marketing platform).
- Cision acquired Gorkana, a media monitoring and journalist database
- Cision acquired Viralheat, a social media management firm
- Cision acquired PRNewswire, a press release distribution service
- Cision acquired PRIME Research, a primary research firm
- Cision acquired Bulletin Intelligence, a provider of briefin for corporate and government executives
- Cision acquired Paris-based L’Argus de la Presse, a French media monitoring service
- Cision acquired CEDROM-SNi, a Canadian provider of digital media monitoring solutions
- Cision acquired ShareIQ, a platform that “discovers, analyzes and indexes original pieces of visual content
- Cision acquired Falcon.io, a Copenhagen-based social media platform
- Cision acquired Trendkite, a media measurement software application
- Cision acquired Brandwatch, a social intelligence platform
It’s also important to point out the Brandwatch acquisitions as well.
- 2014: PeerIndex, an influencer analytics platform
- 2017: BuzzSumo, a content and influencer research tool
- 2018: Merged with Crimson Hexagon, a social media intelligence platform
- 2019: Qriously, a service for measuring real-time, location-based public sentiment
LIST OF MELTWATER ACQUISITIONS
Meltwater has been on similar path with company acquisitions, but their journey stated well over 10 years ago. Back in 2010, they were a client of mine and I recall working on a few of these acquisitions.
- Meltwater acquired BuzzGain, a social media monitoring software
- Meltwater acquired JitterJam, CRM software
- Meltwater acquired IceRocket, a real-time social search engine
- Meltwater acquired Encore Alerts, a US based media monitoring company
- Meltwater acquired Cosmify, a data analysis platform
- Meltwater acquired Klarity, a Hong Kong based data analytics platform
- Meltwater acquired Wrapidity, a data extraction and automation platform
- Meltwater acquired Algo, a real-time data analytics company
- Meltwater acquired Sysomos, a social listening platform
- Meltwater acquired Datasift, a social media analytics company
On the media intelligence and monitoring side, there are several other players in the space that have innovative and/or easy to use solutions-MuckRack, Memo, Newswhip, and Onclusive.
On the social intelligence side, platforms like Synthesio, Pulsar Platform, Digimind, and Infegy are social listening platforms to keep a close eye on. I recorded a video last year in 2o2o talking about the Forrester Wave’s Top Social Listening Platforms. Unfortunately, not all of the social listening platforms made it on to the report, but they all have featured and functionality worthy of enterprise deployment.