I just finalized a client project that essentially is plan to operationalize their content marketing and community management strategy. Most of the plan was to identify roles & responsibilities, team structure, create processes and workflows and then determine which technology could support the operational plan.
Over the last several weeks, I have met with well over 20 social vendors in the social CRM, content publishing and analytics space; and I realized that there is somewhat of a gap in the marketplace. There isn’t just one vendor that excels in what I feel is the right approach to build a best-in-class content marketing & community management strategy – content planning, publishing, governance and analytics.
Below are a few requirements that would add tremendous business value to the enterprise. Is this too much to ask? Is there a vendor that I don’t know about that has all of these capabilities?
- Content calendar management (something better than Excel or Google Docs)
- Approval workflows with conversation tracking
- Role assignments (author, editor, reviewer, etc.)
- Collaborative whiteboard to brainstorm content ideas
Note: Love what the team at DivvyHQ is doing! They have a robust platform that automates the entire content planning process.
- The ability to publish to major social networks to include Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
- The ability to publish to WordPress, Jive, Lithium
- A content library for employees/regional teams to use, customize and share
- Content scheduling with supported day-parting metrics (similar to Hootsuite’s new Auto Schedule Functionality & Buffer)
- Gamification capabilities for employees/teams to encourage mass participation
Note: There are many vendors in this space with no shortage of acquisitions.
GOVERNANCE AND COMPLIANCE
- Controls that allow for approval of content before it’s posted
- Views into what content has already been published
- Content/comment moderation
- Escalation workflows to teams in other groups (i.e. customer support) with collaboration support
- Rolled up engagement metrics
- Engagement metrics by channel, team or employee
- Total potential reach and impressions at the aggregate and individual channel level
- Customer Support metrics (resolution, response time)
- Conversion data
- A more complete data record w/history
The other challenge I see is that many of these vendors charge per user. This pricing model doesn’t scale for organizations that empower all of their employees to engage externally with customers and partners. Also, there is a lack of mobile application development for these tools, which seems to me to be a huge disconnect considering the rise of mobile adoption and usage for the enterprise.
Lastly, and this is a stretch since it’s a different category, but the ability to pull in listening/monitoring data would be ideal. Not just a few “brand” keywords that only go back 30 days. Historical data is just as important to identify trending. Sysomos, Social Radar & PeopleBrowser excel in this area.
Is this wishful thinking? Does something like this exist today? If not, who is going to build it? I talk to companies every day and they are tired of using 6 different software applications to do all this.
Image: Big Stock Social Technologies